5 Gauss line, proximity of workstation to scanner
08-31-2015, 12:13 AM
5 Gauss line, proximity of workstation to scanner
Hi, I recently saw this picture of what is probably a modern MRI scanner:

[img]http://www.topmastersinhealthcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/15.-Massachusetts-General-Hospital-%E2%80%93-Boston-Massachusetts.jpg

I'm fairly certain that the tape on the bottom of the floor should represent the 5 Gauss line. This is really close and a terrific improvement compared to some of the older scanners I've used. Based on this.... it seems to me that the scanner workstations could actually be much, much closer to scanner and provide a much better view for supervision. I just got done working in a newly constructed facility, and the scanners were still quite far away from the workstation - which leads me to suspect that the firm that built the site hasn't upgraded its designs in a while. Really, this is important as I would say for the most part - techs cannot really distinguish many potential emergencies from the distance they work at, and often need to enter the scan room and possibly remove the patient from the bore to see what is going on - and they are still relying on many patients to use the call bell, and many do not or are unconscious.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2016, 09:22 PM
RE: 5 Gauss line, proximity of workstation to scanner
Thanks for sharing

Business Continuity | Disaster Recovery | WAN Optimization
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Best info provided.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2016, 04:40 AM
You are in the liability business? How does this relate to what you do?
06-14-2016, 01:46 PM
In modern MRI magnets, for a 1.5T Coil, the 5G line will be an ellipse with 4m Radius in axial direction and 3 m radius in other directions.

(08-31-2015 12:13 AM)AndrewBworth Wrote:  Hi, I recently saw this picture of what is probably a modern MRI scanner:

[img]http://www.topmastersinhealthcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/15.-Massachusetts-General-Hospital-%E2%80%93-Boston-Massachusetts.jpg

I'm fairly certain that the tape on the bottom of the floor should represent the 5 Gauss line. This is really close and a terrific improvement compared to some of the older scanners I've used. Based on this.... it seems to me that the scanner workstations could actually be much, much closer to scanner and provide a much better view for supervision. I just got done working in a newly constructed facility, and the scanners were still quite far away from the workstation - which leads me to suspect that the firm that built the site hasn't upgraded its designs in a while. Really, this is important as I would say for the most part - techs cannot really distinguish many potential emergencies from the distance they work at, and often need to enter the scan room and possibly remove the patient from the bore to see what is going on - and they are still relying on many patients to use the call bell, and many do not or are unconscious.